LinkedIn is one of the fastest growing social media platforms today, and with good reason. If you know how to use it, this popular networking platform can be an extremely powerful tool to help you get seen by recruiters and future employers. If you are looking for a new job or career, you need to be on LinkedIn!
LinkedIn offers people a number of ways to build an impressive profile. Basically, it is an online CV, with much more. Here are some tips on how to make your profile into a strong online CV for recruiters and future employers to see:
- Your profile: When creating your profile, include all of the information that you include in your CV. One benefit of a LinkedIn profile is that it can be longer than your CV, so you can add in any relevant information you may not be able to fit on your CV.
- Add a professional photo: LinkedIn profiles should include a photo. Using a professional photo will give the right impression for potential recruiters or future employers to approach you.
- Write a summary: This section on LinkedIn is a great place to highlight, in a few sentences or bullet points, what makes you stand out as an employee or job candidate. This should read like a summary statement on your CV. Include your key skills and passions; it’s a great way for people to find out more about you!
- Include keywords and skills: Unlike a CV, you are not tailoring your LinkedIn profile to fit a specific job vacancy. However, you can still use keywords from your industry in your profile. This will make it easier for employers to find your profile when searching for potential job candidates.
- Get recommendations and endorsements: To a potential employer, an endorsement on LinkedIn is a reference for recruiters and potential employers. Try to boost your profile with LinkedIn recommendations from your connections. Also, by endorsing people in your network, they will endorse you back!
- Grow your network: Another way to share your profile is to connect with other members and build your online network. The more connections you have, the more opportunities you have. If you don’t know someone but would like to connect, be sure to send a connection request with a personalised message, giving reasons why you would like to connect.
- Update your profile: Don’t forget to update your profile when you change positions or companies. Your profile should be professional and up-to-date.